Advice I’ve received from many mothers is to ‘be selfish’ during pregnancy. (Selfish meaning to simply put yourself first!) With this advice in mind, Marcello and I have certainly indulged in date nights and brunches throughout this pregnancy. At a minimum our baby girl has certainly appreciated the indulgences.
Here are a few of our favorite spots – but we’re just getting started! 😉
- Lauren’s Favorite: Iced Almond Milk Latte
- I personally like my coffee a bit sweet and creamy, without being overwhelming on either front. The almond milk has a touch of sweetness without being overbearing. I’ve found the almond milk latte to have the perfect balance of caffeinated strength and enjoyable sweetness.
- Each of their latte sizes has 2 shots of espresso (i.e., Small, Medium, & Large all have 2 espresso shots).
- Located in Union Station.
Tupelo Honey: (Southern style farm-to-table.)
- Lauren’s Favorite: Wicked Chicken Biscuit sandwich with mixed greens salad
- The Wicked Chicken Biscuit brunch sandwich is both filling and indulgent yet fresh and somewhat healthy – (side note, I ask for my chicken to be grilled instead of fried). I’m a sucker for morning biscuits (check), hot sauce chicken (check), a perfectly runny egg (check), and a fresh green salad (check). Basically, this brunch dish is heaven on a plate for me.
- Located @ 17th Street & Wewatta.
Snooze: (Local breakfast favorite.)
- Lauren’s Favorite: The Snooze Classic or Summer Harvest Benny
- If you order The Snooze Classic I recommend substituting your toast for one of their tasty pancake options or the French Toast (it’s about a $4 upcharge – worth it).
- Beware: The Summer Harvest Benny is a heavier dish. Delicious, though.
- If you love having options and you also love eggs benedict, you have the option of ordering 2 half portions of their benedict offerings.
- Other side notes:
- I love their hash browns (fresh, thinly sliced).
- Menu has a lot of flavorful options while remaining reasonably priced.
- There is always a wait (& they don’t take reservations), however, if you stop by an hour or two before your preferred time they can schedule you. They also have the convenient texting-you-when-your-table-is-ready option. As well as offering complementary coffee and fruit infused water (and a game of cornhole) while you wait.
- Located in Union Station.
Venice: (Italian, homemade pasta & tapas.)
- Lauren’s Favorite: Insalata di Pere + Tagliatelle Bolognese
- Can’t beat a homemade Italian lunch for $10! Includes freshly baked bread and friendly service.
- Located across the street from Union Station, sit outside for pleasant ambiance.
- Ask for the happy hour menu before you’re seated (served daily 11AM-7PM).
- Additional tasty $5 options on the happy hour menu – including a favorite of Marcello’s, Mozzarella Caprese.
- Located @ 17th Street & Wynkoop.
Blue Sushi Saki Grill for happy hour
- Lauren’s Favorite: Snow White (cooked maki sushi roll)
- Located @ 16th & Wazee
Protein Bar: (Fast, healthy.)
- Lauren’s Favorite: HI-5 smoothie + Classic Buffalo quinoa bowl
- I substitute tofu for the chicken in the quinoa bowl. Their tofu is delicious – I’ve had several failed attempts of duplicating this in my own kitchen.
- This is fast food. A bit pricey for fast food but plenty of healthy options for those on the go.
- Located between Wewatta & Wynkoop on 16th
Bistro Vendome: (French, romantic.)
- Lauren’s Favorite: “A sweet, refreshing mocktail” + Salade du Verte + Pommes Frites + Navarin de Poulet + Camembert Cheesecake
- Quaint space with fantastic service. Always let them know if you’re celebrating anything special.
- The Pommes Frites are the best fries I’ve ever experienced.
- Portions run on the smaller size and menu is a bit pricey but the full dining experience is worthwhile.
- Take a photo under the market lights @ Larimer Square before or after dinner.
- Located @ Larimer Square on Larimer Street between 15th & 14th.
Cholon: (Modern Asian.)
- Lauren’s Favorite: Pork Belly Buns + Soup Dumplings
- Both the Pork Belly Buns and the Soup Dumplings are on the happy hour menu for a bit cheaper than the dinner menu.
- Happy hour takes place Tuesday-Saturday 2PM-6PM.
- Located @ 16th Street & Blake
Lucky Pie: (Local, fresh pizza.)
- Lauren’s Favorite: Pepperoni pizza
- Pizza is Neapolitan style.
- Additional location in Louisville, Colorado (next door to Sweet Cow ice cream – our absolute favorite ice cream spot).
- Located @ 16th Street & Wazee, in downtown Denver
Other Dinner Options: If you walk up 16th Street there are tons of great options. Larimer Square has nice sit-down restaurants.
Ice Cream: Milkbox:
- Lauren’s Favorite: Salted Oreo Banana Split with rainbow sprinkles
- Ice cream is from the local favorite Little Man Ice Cream. (http://www.littlemanicecream.com)
- Flavors change daily and they tend to run out of the more popular flavors later in the day.
- Marcello loves enjoying his selection via *Shake* style.
- Located in Union Station